Friday, May 6, 2016

Anat Hoffman

Recently, Anat Hoffman came and spoke to us about her organization Women of the Wall and the other social action based activities she's involved in.  Her missions include obtaining equality for all in a way that will fall into Israeli society.  I have had a couple experiences with Women of the Wall.  My first was last winter when I got to light Hanukkah candles at the Kotel. After that we also got to have a personal talk with Anat Hoffman.  It was very interesting to hear a lot of the things she was advocating for in Israeli society.  This year I had my second experience with Women of the Wall and we went for Purim. Still it was a very cool experience.  Anat Hoffman came and spoke to our group and explained what she was about.  However, this was the same as the first talk I listened to from her.  The difference was me.  She mainly focuses on issues regarding the Kotel.  However, since being on EIE I have become aware that the average secular Israeli does not really care about Kotel rights, since it does not directly affect their everyday life.  The question was then brought up of non religious marriage and if she is fighting for any rights regarding that.  Then, she went into an explanation saying she has tried and is still currently trying, but she usually does not bring it up to American groups considering it is not something that affects us. Anat Hoffman is coming to my synagogue in June. This will be the third time I hear one of her talks and I am very curious to see how she portrays herself, Women of the Wall, and how it compares to the other talks I have heard from her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment